A Look Back
- Children's Memorial Hospital opened its doors on March 14, 1948 at 42nd & Dewey Avenue in Omaha, on the campus of the University of Nebraska Medical Center. Children's treated 1,814 patients in its first year.
- The first patient was John Paul Mattson of Omaha, age 6 ½ months. He underwent successful surgery to repair a hernia. Mr. Mattson currently lives in Illinois.
- Children's Memorial Hospital played a critical role in the polio epidemic that hit the area especially hard in the summer of 1952. Children's treated 498 cases of polio that year.
- In 1981, Children's Memorial Hospital moved west to 83rd and Dodge Street.
- On September 30, 2000, a dream became reality as Children's Hospital moved into its current home, newly built and state-of-the-art, at 8200 Dodge Street.
- Children's Hospital and the University of Nebraska Medical Center College of Medicine announced an institutional affiliation agreement on August 31, 2007 to align pediatric resources and enrich educational, research and clinical care opportunities.
- January 8, 2009, Children's Hospital became Children's Hospital & Medical Center to more accurately reflect its current and future growth, expansion of education and research, and expertise in pediatric health care.