Children’s Hospital & Medical Center located in Omaha, Nebraska is a 145-bed nonprofit organization caring for children since 1948. It is the only full-service pediatric specialty health care center in Nebraska. Patients are referred from throughout the region for the treatment of complex or unusual diseases in addition to pediatric primary care. At Children’s, no child in need of medical care is ever turned away due to an inability to pay.
Mission Statement : So that all children may have a better chance to live…
2012 Quick Stats
Total Patient Visits: 370,000
Outpatient Surgery Visits: 7,900
Inpatient Admissions: 8,200
Specialty Clinic Patient Encounters: 59,400
Emergency Department & Urgent Care Visits: 40,700
Key Features and Services
- On September 30, 2000, Children’s Hospital & Medical Center moved into its third home, a 292,030-square-foot facility at 8200 Dodge St. The facility has a total of nine floors, including three medical surgical floors, each with 24 single-occupancy rooms. The hospital also has a 19-bed pediatric intensive care unit and the only Level IV Regional NICU in Nebraska.
- Each single-occupancy patient room features a parent sleep bed, a desk with Internet access, private refrigerator, TV/VCR and a private full bath. Children’s Hospital & Medical Center encourages parents to become full participants in the care team and welcomes 24-hour visitation for parents and grandparents as well as frequent visits by siblings.
- Children’s Hospital & Medical Center is home to the only dedicated pediatric emergency department in the region.
- The trauma center at Children's Hospital & Medical Center has been verified as a Level II Pediatric Trauma Center by the American College of Surgeons Committee on Trauma (ACS-COT). It is the only pediatric trauma center in Nebraska.
- A 33-bed "day hospital," called the Children's Ambulatory Recovery and Express Stay (CARES) unit, provides outpatients and their families with individual rooms throughout the surgical or outpatient procedure.
- The hospital has seven surgical suites, and four procedure rooms, as well as a hybrid heart catheterization lab (one of the most technologically advanced in the nation) that can provide immediate surgical intervention.
- The Fetal Care Center at Children's Hospital & Medical Center in affiliation with Alegent Creighton Health focuses on the coordination of care for babies diagnosed with complex congenital defects before birth.
- On Sept. 1, 2010, Children’s Hospital & Medical Center opened the new Children’s Specialty Pediatric Center in response to a growing need for specialty clinic space and increasing demand for specialized and sub-specialty health care services for children. The five-story, 135,000-square-foot building houses examination and procedure space designed specifically for children.
- Children's offers more than 30 outpatient specialty clinics. They include:
Children's Developmental Clinic
Ear, Nose, Throat (ENT)
Pediatric Dental Clinic (UNMC)
Rehabilitative Services (OT/PT)
- Children's Hospital & Medical Center provides specialty pediatric care in Lincoln, Neb. at the Children's Specialty Pediatric Clinic which offers the following services: cardiology, hematology/oncology, respiratory medicine, endocrinology, rheumatology, neurology, neurosurgery, orthopedics, pediatric surgery and gastroenterology. This clinic opened in March 2008.
- Children's Hospital & Medical Center provides for the health care needs of children from throughout the region, with outreach clinics in Columbus, Grand Island, Hastings, Holdrege, Kearney, Norfolk, and North Platte, Neb.; Sioux City, Iowa; and Sioux Falls and Rapid City, S.D.
- Children's is the primary inpatient teaching site for the joint Creighton-Nebraska Universities Health Foundation pediatrics residency program. Children's also serves as the pediatric training site for the family practice residency programs at the University of Nebraska Medical Center and Creighton University School of Medicine, as well as for many of the region's nursing and health profession schools.
- An affiliation agreement between Children's Hospital & Medical Center and the University of Nebraska Medical Center's College of Medicine offers collaboration and alignment of resources to enrich pediatric healthcare education, research and clinical care opportunities.
- Children's Physicians, the area's largest practice of board-certified pediatricians and pediatric nurse practitioners, serves more than 75,000 children. It offers 44 pediatricians, four physician assistants and four nurse practitioners in eleven offices located throughout Omaha, in Bellevue, La Vista and Plattsmouth, Neb.
- Children's Urgent Care Centers, located at 175th and Burke Streets (West Village Pointe) or 9801 Giles Road (Val Verde), are open evenings, weekends and holidays to treat minor medical conditions.
- Children's Home Healthcare has provided in-home services since 1984. It works cooperatively with Children's Hospital & Medical Center, its affiliates and other medical providers in the region to provide pediatric equipment and medical supplies, home health nursing, pharmaceutical services, respiratory therapy, private-duty services, custom rehabilitation, nutrition therapy and other patient services.
- The Carolyn Scott Rainbow House is a home-away-from-home for families with children requiring hospitalization. It allows families to stay together in a loving and caring atmosphere. Thousands of people have been welcomed at the Rainbow House since its doors opened in 1983. While a $10 per night donation is graciously accepted, there is no required fee for staying at the Rainbow House. In 2012, the Rainbow House welcomed 1,996 guest stays for a combined total of 20,345 days. These guests were from 27 states and one foreign country.
Children's Hospital & Medical Center is a member of and actively participates in: the American Hospital Association, Nebraska Hospital Association and the Children's Hospital Association (formerly NACHRI).
Other Vital Services:
||Children's Hospital & Medical Center Foundation
Child Life Services
Children's Advocacy Team (CAT)
Family Support Services
Guest Relations/Concierge Services
Hand in Hand Palliative Care
First Aid Station at Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo
School Re-entry Program