Facts About Allergies & Asthma
Allergies and asthma are among the most common health problems in children and their prevalence has been increasing over the last decade.
Consider the following facts:
- Allergies are more common in children; however, a first-time occurrence can happen at any age, or recur after many years of remission.
- Allergies tend to occur in families.
- Food allergies are seen in 8 percent of children under age 6.
- At least 6.3 million children under the age of 18 have been diagnosed with asthma.
- Pediatric asthma is the third ranking cause of childhood hospitalizations under the age of 15 and the most common reason for missed school days in children.
Health Library Information