The HEROES program combines medical management, nutrition and behavior modification classes, fitness classes, behavioral health therapy and consultations with medical specialists to help children who are overweight or obese maintain or lose weight and develop lifelong healthy habits. Individual goals will be established for your child depending on their needs and circumstances. Your child must be referred by a physician. He or she will then undergo an evaluation by the HEROES multi-disciplinary team to determine qualification for the program.
If you and your child choose to commit to our program, this commitment will be for six months. Our program includes clinic visits, required weekly educational classes for the first three months of the program, required fitness classes twice a week for the duration of the program, and a once a month Goal Group. Parents and family members play a critical role in helping a child improve lifestyle and health status. The participation of parents and family members is an integral part of the program in order for your child to have the greatest level of success.
The program includes:
- Initial screening visit to discuss program
- Individualized treatment planning
- Frequent clinic visits to monitor progress
- Nutrition and behavior modification education classes
- Fitness classes
- Possible referral to specialists for health issues related to obesity
- Close contact with primary care physician
- Referral to behavioral health experts as needed for additional support