Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU)
Phone: (402) 955-4200
Fax: (402) 955-3263
Referral Hotline: 1-888-592-7955
Children's Hospital & Medical Center operates a 19-bed Pediatric Intensive Care Unit with full isolation capabilities. The unit offers state of the art bedside invasive and non-invasive monitoring, including in-line blood gas analysis and continuous EEG capability.
The Pediatric Intensive Care Unit:
- Is the only PICU in the region to offer 24/7 in-hospital coverage by board certified physicians trained in pediatric critical care.
- Is continuously staffed by nurses and respiratory therapists trained in the care of critically ill and injured children.
- Offers the full range of pediatric medical and surgical sub-specialists available at all times.
- Offers advanced technologies, including high frequency oscillatory ventilation, nitric oxide, and heliox therapies.
- Offers 24/7 coverage by a senior pediatric or medicine-pediatrics resident in addition to the in-hospital intensivist coverage.
- Has patient care outcomes consistently among the best units in the country in a national database of PICUs.
- Offers an on-going education program of Pediatric Advanced Life Support and other programs for health care providers.
The PICU outreach team has developed an educational program for all healthcare professionals who may be involved in the care of children, including MD's, RN's, EMT's, and RT's. The program faculty includes a critical care physician, a clinical nurse specialist, a respiratory therapist, and a staff nurse.
To access services:
A physician referral is required. Physicians should call the Physicians' Priority Line at 1-888-592-7955.
Clinical Service Chief:
Mohan R. Mysore, MD
Andrew J. MacFadyen, MD
Robert N. Chaplin, MD
Prashant Joshi, MD
Kelly Kadlec, MD
Luke Noronha, MD
Bridget Norton, MD
Jayesh C. Thakker, MD
Edward J. Truemper, MD
Rebecca M. Starling, MD