The Night Before Surgery
The night before surgery, select comfortable clothes for your child to wear. Your child may wear his or her pajamas to the hospital. If your child has surgery on the abdomen, legs, buttocks, etc., please dress him or her in loose fitting clothes such as elastic waist shorts, jogging pants or pajama bottoms. Please give your child a bath, as it may be a few days before he or she can bathe again, depending on the type of surgery your child is having. Also have your child remove all non-permanent dental appliances and rubber bands, contact lenses, nail polish, all body piercings and metal-containing hair holding devices.
What do I need to bring?
Pack a diaper bag or backpack with a few of your child's favorite comfort items (blanket, stuffed animal, toy, and/or pacifier) and an empty sippy cup or bottle. Older children may bring headset, MP3 player and/or hand-held video games.
- Registration information
- Driver's license
- Social Security card for your child
- Paperwork, including orders, lab results, X-rays and/or history and physical from your pediatrician's office
- Insurance card
- Guardianship papers (if applicable)
- Current medication list with name of medication, dose and time medications are given
- Comfort items
- Stuffed animal or toy, blanket and/or pacifier
- Sippy cup or bottle with any special nipples
- Head set, MP3 player and/or hand-held video games