Who Needs to See Us
Appointments for evaluation require a physician's order. A diagnosis must also be written on the order. Physicians generally refer patients to our clinic for the following reasons:
- To rule out aspiration during feeding as potential contributor to respiratory distress.
- To assess a patient's oropharyngeal anatomy and physiology during breathing, feeding, and swallowing.
- To determine whether a feeding or swallowing impairment can explain poor weight gain.
- To obtain a differential diagnosis of the type of feeding or swallowing difficulty present.
- To determine the optimal texture and feeding process for safe and successful oral feeding.
- To determine a child's potential for weaning from tube feeds.
- To determine whether a child can maintain adequate nutrition and hydration by mouth.
- To facilitate appropriate case management with related services such as gastroenterology, nutrition, ear, nose and throat or pulmonology.