Children’s Hospital & Medical Center is grateful for the community’s support in helping us carry out our mission of improving the lives of children.
In addition to financial giving, contributions of gift cards, toys, and other items help make patients’ stays more comfortable, enjoyable and therapeutic.
Donate Items On Our Wish List
On behalf of our patients, families and staff, we thank you for considering making a donation to benefit the children we serve. To ensure the health and well-being of our patients, Children’s Hospital & Medical Center has strict safety and infection control policies that determine what donated items we can accept. After reviewing the donation guidelines below, please complete the required donation submission form.
Most Needed Items
Portable DVD Players Xbox 360 Controllers Markers Paints DVDs for All Ages (G, PG, PG-13) Xbox Games Nintendo Games for DSi and DSi XL PlayStation PS2 and PS3 Games Starlight Game System (link)
Infants and Toddlers
Plastic and Washable Mobiles Shape Sorters Rattles and Teethers Stacking Rings Light-Up and Musical Toys Music Boxes and Activity Boxes for Cribs Crib Mirrors Push Toys Blocks and Building Sets (plastic) Receiving Blankets Cars Exersaucers Crib “Aquarium” Soothing Sounds Bouncy Seats Boppy Pillows and Covers Baby Gyms Lullaby CDs Board Books
Crayons Colored Pencils Scissors Play-Doh Bead Kits Craft Kits Fuzzy Felt Posters Bubbles Bubble Tumblers Legos and Lego Kits Search and Find Books Lift and Look Books Hot Wheels/Match Box Coloring Books Batteries (all sizes) Action Figures LeapFrog VTech Toys Picture Books Level-Reader Books
Preteen and Teens
Arts and Crafts (Klutz & Similar Kits) MP3 Players Bionicles One Time Use Cameras CD/Radio Systems Hand Held Games Decks of Cards
- To allow us the most flexibility in meeting the needs of our patients, please consider gift cards from businesses that provide appropriate children’s toys, craft supplies and entertainment goods for all ages. Examples include: Target, Wal-Mart, Toys R Us, Hobby Lobby, Dick Blick, Mangelsen’s, etc. Gift cards of any amount are greatly appreciated. Gift cards that offer family assistance with rising fuel costs and long-distance calls are also appreciated.
- We follow strict safety and infection control policies, so we are only able to accept NEW items in their original packaging, such as toys, games, books or supplies. Please refer to our Wish List of preferred items when considering a donation.
- No food, including candy or gum, may be donated to our patients or staff. Many patients are on dietary restrictions and cannot have certain foods.
- No latex balloons are accepted due to potential allergic reactions.
Click here to complete the required donation submission form. Our team will review your submission and follow up via email within 30 days. Thank you for thinking of Children’s and the patients we serve!
Donate Used Clothing Or Household Goods
You can support Children’s Hospital by donating used clothing and small household goods. Look for the blue-green donation boxes in Omaha, Papillion, Bellevue, Gretna, Elkhorn, Fremont, Blair, Arlington, and Grand Island, Nebraska, and in Council Bluffs, Iowa. A list of locations is available here. A portion of your donation helps the families we serve.
|Donations Accepted||We Are Unable To Accept|
|Used clothing||High chairs|
|Paired & single shoes||Mattresses|
|Belts, purses, & backpacks||Oil-soaked textiles|
Give of Your Time
Want to get involved, but not able to commit as a regular volunteer? Serving meals at the Rainbow House, organizing a patient activity, and creating team building experiences to benefit the kids are great ways to give of your time without a long term commitment.
Carolyn Scott Rainbow House
As the home-away-from-home for families with kids at Children’s, the Rainbow House provides an evening meal is provided Sunday through Thursday to lessen the financial burden.
How can you be involved?
- Prepare or serve a meal for patient families
- Donate a meal or pantry items and drop off at the Rainbow House
Please call 402-955-7815 for more information.
Facilitate A Patient Activity
Interested in donating your group’s time and propose a patient activity? Please review the following guidelines for outside groups interested in facilitating activities for Children’s patients. Then complete the required patient activity form. Our team will review your submission and follow up via email within 30 days.
Thank you for thinking of Children’s and the patients we serve!
Patient Activity GuidelinesThank you for your group’s interest in exploring the possibility of facilitating a patient activity at Children’s Hospital & Medical Center. Proposed activities or offerings should be focused on benefiting patients, and must be submitted online at least 30 days prior to the proposed date.
These guidelines are in place to protect patient safety and privacy and promote family-centered care and a healing environment.
- All visitors will be required to fill out a health screening form and a confidentiality agreement form. All visits will be facilitated and escorted by a Children’s team member.
- The group should be no larger than 10 people.
- Due to infection control policies, all members of a visiting group must be 15 years or older to enter inpatient units or interact with patients and families in our lobby.
- The patient activity will be limited to approximately one hour. We are not able to facilitate weekend and evening activities.
- No food, candy or latex products (e.g. balloons) may be distributed in the hospital environment. Any proposed items for distribution must be approved by Children’s staff in advance.
- No activities may include fire, candles, sharp objects or any other unsafe or potentially harmful materials.
- Children’s has a dedicated group of volunteers who play and read to patients. We do not currently schedule reading activities that are facilitated by outside groups.
- Because we serve children from diverse backgrounds and varied faith traditions, all activities, content and/or group/individual interactions must be free of religious or political messages and overtones.
- Due to laws related to patient privacy, we cannot allow activities that specify children with a specific disease or diagnosis. Guests are not allowed to ask staff, families or patients why individual children are in the hospital or their specific medical condition.
- Content of activities and presentations should not deal with emotionally threatening themes such as death, separation, illness, medical procedures, or medical personnel.
- Costumes need to be approved prior to your group’s visit. Generally, clowns are not permitted.
- You will be escorted by an identified Children’s Hospital and Medical Center employee during your scheduled time. They will help facilitate your interactions with the children and help remind you of your responsibility to conduct yourself according to our parameters.
- Photography is prohibited to protect patient confidentiality. Limited opportunities must be discussed and approved in advance.
- Outside groups are not permitted to invite media to Children’s, with rare exceptions. Any media presence must be discussed and approved in advance by Children’s Marketing team.
Thank you for reviewing these guidelines established to ensure a safe, positive experience for our patients, families, staff and visitors. Complete the required patient activity form here.
Team Building with a philanthropic twist is a great way to make the most of your training dollars. Consider a model used by other organizations: a gift delivery to each patient; volunteering to host and work a reunion event for our patients; host a miracle jeans day; or sign up teams to volunteer for our existing events like our radiothons.
For a pre-packaged team builder experience, Cheeriodical is a national organization that has an established program where the company delivers custom boxes of items to patients. This is followed by a professionally-led activity session. Visit www.cheeriodicals.com to learn more.
For more information on one of these opportunities or if you have one of your own, contact us at 402-955-6851 or email email@example.com.