Children’s Hospital & Medical Center is excited to be the host of the School Health Learning Collaborative for our Nebraska school partners.
This is an opportunity for school nurses and other school staff to learn and interact with Children’s experts during the 2022/2023 school year.
A variety of school health topics will be addressed during this learning collaborative through bi-directional learning sessions, as well as, training and resources to assist school nurses with the management of physical and behavioral as it relates to the health and well-being of school staff and students. Although designed for the school nurse, other school staff and administrators are welcome to participate as a school health team. We hope you enjoy the recorded sessions with our experts.
Sessions are held on the 2nd and 4th Wednesday of the month from 3-4 pm CST.
Please note: Presentation topics are subject to change.
- Session 1 | Everything, Everywhere, All at Once: An Infectious Disease Update (August 10, 2022)
- Session 2 | Concussion Identification & Treatment (August 24, 2022)
- Session 3 | Diabetes Management (September 14, 2022)
- Session 4 | Supporting Students living in Foster Care (September 28, 2022)
- Session 5 | Adolescent Health (October 12, 2022)
- Session 6 | Supporting Students with Autism Spectrum Disorder (October 26, 2022)
- Session 7 | Supporting Native American Students (November 9, 2022)
- Session 8 | Human Trafficking (December 14, 2022)
- Session 9 | ADHD Behavioral Interventions (January 11, 2023)
- Session 10 | Anxiety & Depression and the Impact of Social Media (January 25, 2023)
- Session 11 | Project ADAM (February 8, 2023)
- Session 12 | Drug Trends Amongst NE Teens (February 22, 2023)
- Session 13 | Bullying Prevention and Intervention (March 8, 2023)
- Session14 | Suicide Prevention & Post-ventition (March 22, 2023)
- Session 15 | Down Syndrome & Development (April 12, 2023)
- Session 16 | Bloodborne Pathogens (April 26, 2023)
- Session 17 | Summer Activities for Kids (& meals) (May 10, 2023)
How to Join?
These sessions will be delivered via Zoom utilizing the link provided below. The same Zoom Meeting ID and Password will be used for all meetings. Pre-registration is encouraged, especially for nurses who wish to receive CNE credits.
Visit Childrensomaha.org/ContinuingEd. Select “Continuing Education.” Then, select “Outreach” and scroll to the event to register.
Contact [email protected] with registration questions.
Meeting ID: 998 6132 1080
Join From a Mobile Device
877-853-5257 (US Toll-free)
Access to current information, practices and resources on a variety of physical and behavioral health topics; networking with other school nurses and Children’s experts in a community of practice; shared problem-solving on school-level challenges experienced by school nurses as issues are identified; educational resources for school staff, students, and families such as posters, social media messages, videos and handouts; and ongoing communication with the Children’s School Health team. Ongoing communication will occur as more learning collaborative sessions and new information are added to the work.
This learning collaborative is brought to you at no cost by Children’s Hospital & Medical Center in partnership with the Nebraska Department of Education and planned collaboratively with education administrators, school nurses, pediatric infectious disease providers, pediatric hospitalists, and general pediatricians.
Questions? Please reach out to Children’s School Health Coordinator
2022/2023 Session Recordings
Session 1 | Everything, Everywhere, All at Once: An Infectious Disease Update (August 10, 2022)
Session 2 | Concussion Identification & Treatment (August 24, 2022)View Session
HEADS UP to Schools: School Nurses | HEADS UP | CDC Injury Center – Nurses main webpage at CDC Heads UP
Concussion Signs And Symptoms Checklist (cdc.gov) – Nursing concussion checklist
Sport concussion assessment tool – 5th edition (bmj.com) – Sideline Concussion Tool
Session 3 | Diabetes Management (September 14, 2022)
Session 4 | Supporting Students Living in Foster Care (September 28, 2022)
Session 5 | The Adolescent Brain (October 12, 2022)
Session 6 | Supporting Students with Autism Spectrum Disorder (October 26, 2022)
Session 7 | Supporting Native American Students (November 9, 2022)
Session 8 | Human Trafficking (December 14, 2022)Session not recorded due to the speaker’s organizational restrictions.
Session 9| ADHD Behavioral Interventions (January 11, 2023)
2021/2022 Session Recordings
Session 1 | COVID Updates (August 11, 2021)
School Health Learning Collaborative
Session 2 | COVID-19 Vaccine Toolkit (September 8, 2021)
#Fruitful21: Communication Best Practices, Tips & Tools
Session 3 | Taking the Road Less Travelled with School-Based Vision Care (October 13, 2021)
Session 4 | Understanding & Supporting Gender Diverse Students in School (October 27, 2021)
Session 5 | Proactive Suicide Prevention (November 10, 2021)
Session 6 | The Connection Between COVID & Mental Health (December 8, 2021)View Session
- Covid Impact on Child and Adolescent Mental Health
- List of articles about youth mental resources related to the pandemic, from the Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry.
Session 7 | STIs & Sexual Health Data (January 12, 2022)
Session 8 | Current Drug Trends (February 9, 2022)
Session 9 | Communicable Disease 101 for School Health
Session 10 | Blood Disorders & Adrenal Insufficiency: What You Need To Know (March 9, 2022)
Session 11 | Name That Rash (April 13, 2022)
Session 12 | Rule 59 (April 27, 2022)
Session 13 | Seizure Safe Schools Act Regulation (May 12, 2022)
2020/2021 Session Recordings
Session 1 | Preparing for Students – Assessment, Risks, and Decisions (August 6, 2020)
Session 2 | How to Manage Symptomatic Students & Staff (August 27, 2020)View Session
Session 3 | Staff Wellness – Maintaining Health in Changing Times (September 10, 2020)Presenters:
- Ashley Harlow, PhD MBA, Behavioral Health Specialist
- Joan Daughton, MD, Behavioral Health Specialist
Due to technical difficulties, the video presentation is not available. Please enjoy the audio recording of session three.
Session 4 | Student Wellness – Awareness and Resiliency (September 24, 2020)
Session 5 | Communication and Collaboration with Primary Care (October 8, 2020)View Session
Session 6 | COVID Fatigue and Vaccine Information & Updates (January 21, 2021)
Session 7 | Return to Play After COVID (March 1st, 2021)
Session 8 | The School Nurse’s Role in IEP and 504 Planning (March 2, 2021)