Can you imagine a world in which every child is healthy, safe, and happy? A world where we came to work each day and helped prevent healthcare issues rather than just treating them? We can — and do — imagine such a world. Because we are, quite simply, all about kids.
Back in the summer of 1948, when we first opened our doors, we went looking for employees with open hearts. We found them then, and we’re finding them now. People who care, people who give, people who share an unshakeable enthusiasm for giving all children a better chance to live.
- Positive attitudes
- Service excellence
- Wise use of resources
Our Mantra is “No Harm”
When it comes to harm — whether to patients, visitors, clinicians, or staff — we believe that zero is possible.
Error Prevention behavioral expectations and techniques support our culture and help us achieve our goal of becoming a High Reliability Organization. These expectations and techniques are interwoven into everything we do to ensure that safety is always our number one priority.
- We make a difference in patients’ lives, and we love what we do.
- We work as a team, and we’ve got each other’s back.
- We work hard and celebrate often.
- We are safety fanatics.
- We value diversity and respect all viewpoints.
- We believe in the future and our ability to create it.
Culture & Inclusion Committees
We have built two committees that are dedicated to fostering a culture of inclusion. These committees are:
- Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI): EDI focuses on diversity-, equity-, and inclusion-related needs from both the employee and patient perspective. This committee consists of volunteer representatives from nearly every area of the Children’s enterprise.
- Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity (SOGI): SOGI is open to employees who are interested in advocating for the needs of LGBTQ+ patients through the examination of both their patient experience and the education and training needs of staff to provide an excellent patient experience for our LGBTQ+ patients and their families.
For more information about these committees, please reach out to our Culture & Inclusion Manager, Shavonne, at email@example.com.
Diversity & Inclusion
Children’s is dedicated to cultivating a Culture of Inclusion. To lay a foundation for this goal, we have adopted the following definitions related to our Culture of Inclusion:
Integrated patterns of behavior that include language, thoughts, actions, customs, beliefs, values, and traditions
Adapted from Community Health Association of Mountains/Plains States
Bringing together and harnessing diversity in a beneficial way by creating, nurturing, and sustaining an environment of respect, involvement, connection, and excellence
Adapted from T. Hudson Jordan’s Moving from Diversity to Inclusion (Profiles in Diversity Journal, March 2011)
Richness of human differences — both seen and unseen
Providing everyone with the resources needed to level the playing field
Celebrating Our Employees
Continuing our theme of inclusion, Children’s is currently forming 5 employee resource groups that focus on the experiences that make each person unique:
- CARE (Compassion, Access, and Respect for Everyone of all abilities): Experience of employees with cognitive and physical disabilities
- Catalyst: Experience of our ‘young professionals’ and professionals at an early point of their career advancement
- Children’s PRIDE (People, Resources, Inclusion, Diversity, & Equity): Experience of our LGBTQ+ employees, volunteers, and contractors
- Rise: Experience of our African American and Black employees, volunteers, and contractors
- Unite: Experience of our Hispanic and Latino employees, volunteers, and contractors
For more information about these groups, please reach out to our Culture & Inclusion Manager, Shavonne, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
And Celebrating Our Patients
Employees do not just help children have a better chance of survival. They also help them enjoy everyday life, even when they are very sick.