Children’s Hospital & Medical Center believes strongly in supporting the professional development and educational needs of its nurses and employees.
RN licensure in Nebraska mandates that you obtain 20 contact hours of continuing education every 2 years in order to renew your license. You can get all you need at Children’s – most free of charge!
In 2015, 94% of our nursing continuing education programs were provided free of charge to Children’s employees. We are on target to have a 25% increase in programs provided this year!
Basic Life Support (BLS) is required for most clinical employees. The class is free of charge to employees while also being paid to attend ($5 for certification card not included). Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) is required for many employees – especially nurses and respiratory therapists. The class is free of charge to employees whom are also paid to attend. ($5 for certification card not included) Neonatal Resuscitation Provider (NRP) certification is required for nurses, RTs, and medics who care for sick newborns in the NICU and those on transport. The class is free of charge to employees whom are also paid to attend. ($5 for certification card not included)
Patient Care Areas provide education to their staff to help them develop and maintain their competency and skills related to the care of the patients they serve. Any mandatory education is free to the appropriate employees and they get paid to attend the course.
Paid certification programs include but not limited to:
- APHON Pediatric Chemotherapy and Biotherapy Provider Course.
- ENPC — Emergency Nurse Provider Course (Renewed every 2 years)
- TNCC — Trauma Nurse Core Course (Renewed every 2 years)
- S.T.A.B.L.E. course related to managing sick infants with issues related to Blood Sugar, Temperature, Airway, Blood pressure, Lab work, and Emotional support for the family
- All Operating Room nurses complete the Periop 101 online education program from the Association of Operating Room Nurses (AORN) as part of their orientation. This is 27 modules designed to give these nurses a foundation of operating room nurse knowledge.
Learn more about tuition assistance and other benefits.