The AHA’s PEARS (Pediatric Emergency Assessment, Recognition and Stabilization) Course has been updated to reflect science in the 2015 AHA Guidelines for CPR and ECC. In this classroom-based, instructor-led course, students learn how to use a systematic approach to quickly assess, recognize the cause, and stabilize a pediatric patient in an emergency situation.
During PEARS, students interact with real patient cases, and realistic simulations and animations to assess and stabilize pediatric patients experiencing respiratory and shock emergencies, and cardiopulmonary arrest. PEARS prepares students to provide appropriate lifesaving interventions within the initial minutes of response until a child can be transferred to an advanced life support provider.
The PEARS Course content includes:
- Systematic pediatric assessment
- Recognition and stabilization of respiratory emergencies
- Recognition and stabilization of shock emergencies
- Recognition and stabilization of cardiopulmonary arrest
- Resuscitation team concept
Course information courtesy of American Heart Association.
Course Completion and Certification
Students who successfully complete the PEARS Course will receive a PEARS Provider course completion card, valid for 2 years. Course completion requirements include:
- Active participation in the case discussions
- Active participation in the rescue breathing skills station and cardiac arrest case simulations
- Pass the skills tests in 1- and 2-rescuer child BLS with AED and 1- and 2-rescuer infant BLS
- Pass the video-based written exam with a minimum score of 84%
The classroom portion of the PEARS Course will be held at the Indian Hills North building at 8401 West Dodge Road.
Indian Hills North – Lower Level
8401 West Dodge Road
Omaha, Nebraska 68114
Parking is available in the lots directly surrounding the Indian Hills North building.
Cost for External Attendees: $150* (includes PEARS Course and e-card) + $34.50 (for PEARS manual; purchased separately through AHA website)
*External Attendees are required to have a PEARS Provider Manual (either physical copy or eBook) in order to attend the class. Manual fees are separate from course fees. Either the physical copy or ebook can be purchased using the links below.
Note: All classes are scheduled from 8:00 am – 4:30 pm.
- Complete the Registration form.
- Purchase PEARS manual (either physical copy or ebook).
External Attendee Registration Form
Please send completed form & $150 payment via mail, email, or fax to: