The Shadow Learning program at Children’s Hospital & Medical Center allows college students to observe medical professionals in action in a healthcare setting. During your healthcare shadowing experience, you will only observe — you will not be required to perform work of any kind.
Applying For Shadow Learning
Children’s will allow student shadows and non-academic observations to resume onsite beginning in October 2021. The Office of Education will begin accepting online requests for fall placements starting on July 19.
Shadow requests are not guaranteed to be fulfilled, as it is up to the Children’s employee to accept a shadow student.
We require that all applicants provide medical records. You will need to submit a full immunization record, including documentation of the vaccination for the current flu season and an annual negative indication for tuberculosis.
All immunization records must include:
- MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella): Two valid vaccination dates OR a positive titer
- Varicella (Chicken Pox): Two valid vaccination dates OR a positive titer
- Hepatitis B: Three valid vaccination dates AND positive titer; OR a positive titer alone
- TDAP (Tetanus): Documentation within the past 10 years
- Influenza: Documentation of ANNUAL vaccine during the current flu season;
- Tuberculosis Baseline Screening (before assignment) we will accept any one of the following:
- Blood test: Negative Quantiferon gold (QFT) – no older than one year from start date
- Blood test: Negative T-spot – no older than one year from start date
- Skin test: Two valid TST – first within a year and a second step within six weeks of Children’s start date
- For Past Positive: Proof of treatment plan and a current health questionnaire filled out within six weeks of Children’s start date
- Tuberculosis Annual Screening (if applicable) – completion of the TB Risk Assessment and Symptom Review form
You will also need to fill out the Shadow Learner Wellness Attestation Form. Please bring this with you on the day of your shadow experience.
There are several levels of shadow learner experiences available:
- Nursing Shadow Learner (MSN-DNP Grad Student) for those who need shadow experiences as part of their graduate program credit. For more information, contact the Nursing Education Office at 402-955-4582
- Shadow Learner (Nursing & Non-Academic Credit) for college students who are seeking to learn more about nursing before entering nursing school. To apply through the Nursing Education Office, follow these instructions.
- Shadow Learner (Non-Nursing & Non-Academic Credit) for people who are interested in learning more about all other healthcare professions. To apply through the Office of Education, follow these instructions.
“Day In The Life” Program
If you are a high school student (age 16 or older) requesting a job shadow experience, you are encouraged to enroll in the “Day in the Life” program. This program allows high school students who are interested in medical careers to learn more about becoming a physician or other health professional.
Contact Nursing Education at 402-955-4582 for more information.
For more information about nursing shadow experiences contact Nursing Education Office at 402-955-4582. For non-nursing programs contact the Office of Education at OED@childrensomaha.org.