In my role as a pediatric intensivist, I care for critically ill children with life-threatening conditions. I meet families on their most stressful and difficult days, and I am honored to walk alongside them.
My clinical interests include ECMO, end-of-life care, and pediatric sedation, while my academic focus lies in fellowship education and quality improvement. I am an active investigator for the multicenter pediatric tracheal intubation quality improvement collaborative National Emergency Airway Registry for Children (NEAR4KIDS), a subgroup of the PALISI network, designing, implementing, and reassessing safe practices in airway management in the PICU, both locally as well as at the national and international levels.
As an educator, I am charged with teaching and guiding budding pediatricians and intensivists through the pathophysiology of our patients. I strive to create an environment where minds can be stimulated and learners can ask questions, gain new skills, and utilize that education to further the care of children.
- Fellowship education
- Quality improvement
- Edwards LR; Malone MP; Prodhan P; Schexnayder SM. Pediatric Vascular Access and Centeses. In: Fuhrman and Zimmerman’s Pediatric Critical Care. 6th Elsevier; 2021:94-113.
- Edwards CW, Edwards LR, Slagle BM. Pediatric Sepsis: Prompt and Effective Management Strategies. J Ark Med Society. 2021;117(7).
- Branca A, Tellez D, Berkenbosch J, Rehder KJ, Giuliano JS Jr, Gradidge E, Shults J, Turner DA, Nett S, Krawiec C, Edwards LR, Pinto M, Harwayne-Gidansky I, Bysani GK, Shenoi A, Breuer RK, Toedt-Pingel I, Parsons SJ, Orioles A, Al-Subu A, Konyk L, Panisello J, Adu-Darko M, Tarquinio K, Francois T, Emeriaud G, Lee A, Meyer K, Glater-Welt LB, Polikoff L, Kelly SP, Tallent S, Napolitano N, Nadkarni V, Nishisaki A for the National Emergency Airway Registry for Children (NEAR4KIDS) Investigators and Pediatric Acute Lung Injury and Sepsis Investigators (PALISI). The New Trainee Effect in Tracheal Intubation Procedural Safety Across PICUs in North America: A Report from National Emergency Airway Registry for Children. Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2020;21(12):1042-1050. doi: 10.1097/PCC.0000000000002480. PMID: 32740182.
- Emeriaud G, Napolitano N, Polikoff L, Giuliano J Jr, Toedt-Pingel I, Miksa M, Li S, Bysani K, Hsing DD, Nett S, Turner DA, Sanders RC Jr, Lee JH, Adu-Darko M, Owen EB, Gangdharan S, Parker M, Montgomery V, Craig N, Crulli B, Edwards L, Pinto M, Brunet F, Shults J, Nadkarni V, Nishisaki A, National Emergency Airway Registry for Children (NEAR4KIDS) Investigators and Pediatric Acute Lung Injury and Sepsis Investigators (PALISI). Impact of Failure of Noninvasive Ventilation on the Safety of Pediatric Tracheal Intubation. Crit Care Med. 2020;48(10):1503-1512. doi: 10.1097/CCM.0000000000004500. PMID: 32701551.
- López-Fernández YM, Smith LS, Kohne JG, Weinman JP, Modesto-Alapont V, Reyes-Dominguez SB, Medina A, Piñeres-Olave BE, Mahieu N, Klein MJ, Flori HR, Jouvet P, Khemani RG; Pediatric Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome Incidence and Epidemiology (PARDIE) V3 Investigators and the Pediatric Acute Lung Injury and Sepsis Investigators (PALISI) Network. Edwards L-collaborator [PubMed citation]. Prognostic relevance and inter-observer reliability of chest-imaging in pediatric ARDS: a pediatric acute respiratory distress incidence and epidemiology (PARDIE) study. Intensive Care Med.2020;46(7):1382-1393. doi: 10.1007/s00134-020-06074-7. PMID: 32451578. [Non-Author, PubMed Citation for Significant Scholarly Contribution]
- Conway JA, Kharayat P, Sanders RC Jr, Nett S, Weiss SL, Edwards LR, Breuer R, Kirby A, Krawiec C, Page-Goertz C, Polikoff L, Turner DA, Shults J, Giuliano JS Jr, Orioles A, Balkandier S, Emeriaud G, Rehder KJ,Kian Boon JL, Shenoi A, Vanderford P, Nuthall G, Lee A, Zeqo J, Parsons SJ, Furlong-Dillard J, Meyer K, Harwayne-Gidansky I, Jung P, Adu-Darko M, Bysani GK, McCarthy MA, Shlomovich M, Toedt-Pingel I, Branca A, Esperanza MC, Al-Subu AM, Pinto M, Tallent S, Shetty R, Thyagarajan S, Ikeyama T, Tarquinio KM, Skippen P, Kasagi M, Howell JD, Nadkarni VM, Nishisaki A; National Emergency Airway Registry for Children (NEAR4KIDS) and for the Pediatric Acute Lung Injury and Sepsis Investigators (PALISI). Ketamine Use for Tracheal Intubation in Critically Ill Children is Associated with a Lower Occurrence of Adverse Hemodynamic Events. Crit Care Med. 2020;48(6):e489-e497. doi:10.1097/CCM.0000000000004314. PMID: 32317603.
- Edwards LR, Borger J. Pediatric Bronchospasm. StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2019. PMID: 31536291.
- Sanders R Jr, Edwards L, Nishisaki A. Tracheal intubations for critically ill children outside specialized centers in the United Kingdom – patient, provider, practice factors, and adverse events. Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2019;20(6):572-573. doi: 10.1097/PCC.0000000000001946. PMID: 31162351.
- Asfari A; Ahmed M; Edwards LR; Irby K; Agarwal A; Pasala S; Prodhan P; Frazier B; Sanders Jr. RC. Survival from septic shock secondary to disseminated group A streptococcal infection after central extracorporeal membrane oxygenation. J Child Sci. 2017;7(1):e130-135. doi: 10.1055/s-0037-1607312.
- Fairbairn LR. Beginning a Journey; Fulfilling a Dream. In: Elder and Leemaur, eds. Authors of Tomorrow. Elder and Leemaur Publishers; 2015:59.
AB Pediatrics - Pediatrics
Critical Care - Pediatric
2011 | M.D., University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Medicine, Kansas City, MO
2014 | Residency in Pediatrics, Augusta University/Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, GA
2017 | Fellowship in Pediatric Critical Care Medicine, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, AR
2017 | Graduate Certificate in Clinical and Translational Sciences, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, AR
2020 | Graduate Certificate in Medical Education, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH