As a pediatric intensivist, I care for seriously ill infants and children. In my clinical practice, I appreciate the profound role that social determinants of health play in the outcomes of my patients. It is both challenging and rewarding to work with families to first identify which of these factors can be modified, and then cultivate plans to address those specific issues. I am also passionate about health equity and the elimination of health disparities. These interests extend beyond Omaha and even beyond the United States; Global health providers often treat critically ill patients with limited training and insufficient resources. I look forward to partnering with global health providers to assist with critical care education and provision of care to their vulnerable patient population, too.
Assistant Professor, Department of Pediatrics, University of Nebraska College of Medicine
- Social determinants of health, with focus on impact in critical care outcomes
- Healthcare disparities and health equity
- Global Health
- La Count S, Finegold D, Elias T, Yeh J, Miller E, Bui T and Fink EL. “Community Needs Assessment of Communication in the Pediatric Cardiac Intensive Care Unit.” University of Pittsburgh Graduate School of Public Health, Master’s Essay. 2021.
- La Count S, McClusky C, Morrow SE, Carpenter A, Bui T, Miller E, Bart R, Horvat C and Fink EL. “Food Insecurity in Families with Critically Ill Children: A Single-Center Observational Study in Pittsburgh.” Pediatric Critical Care Medicine. 2021. 22(4): e275-e277.
- La Count S, Zhao S, Kline D, Lovett ME, O’Brien NF, Hall MW, and Sribnick EA “Factors Associated with Poor Outcome in Pediatric Near-hanging Injuries.” Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2019. 57(1):21-28.
- Jensen PT, Paul GV, La Count S, Peng J, Spencer CH, Higgens GC, Boyle B, Kamboj M, Smallwood C, and Ardoin SP “Assessment of Transition Readiness in Adolescents and Young Adults with Chronic Health Conditions.” Pediatric Rheumatology Online. 2017 Sep 9. 15(1):70.
American College of Physicians (2010-present)
Alpha Omega Alpha (2013-present)
American Academy of Pediatrics (2014-present)
Society of Critical Care Medicine (2018-present)
Honors and Awards
Alpha Omega Alpha (2013)
Global Health Research Grant (2016)
Resident Teaching Award (2018)
Robyn D Howson Housestaff Humanism Award (2018)
Outstanding Student Award (2021)
AB Pediatrics - Pediatrics
American Board of Internal Medicine
2014 | MD, Ohio State University College of Medicine, Columbus, OH
2018 | Residency in Internal Medicine/Pediatrics, Columbus, OH
2021 | Masters of Public Health, University of Pittsburgh Graduate School of Public Health, Pittsburgh, PA
2021 | Fellowship in Pediatric Critical Care Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA