More children die of injuries than of all other causes combined.
Effective care of injured children requires a comprehensive and inclusive approach that recognizes childhood injuries as a major public health problem, identifies effective strategies for prevention, improves systems of emergency medical care for children, and provides the highest quality of pediatric trauma care. Injured children require special resources dedicated to their care.
What Sets Children’s Apart?
Children’s Hospital & Medical Center is a level II pediatric trauma center as designated by the American College of Surgeons (ACS). We are the only hospital in the region dedicated solely to pediatric care with ACS verification. As a level II trauma center, we:
- Use treatment guidelines that are developed using evidence-based research
- Serve as a regional resource for pediatric trauma care and education
- Create treatment plans individualized for each patient
- Have a dedicated team of physicians and nurses who have completed advanced pediatric trauma care training
- Value family-centered care
- Offer injury prevention programs
“As with any disease involving children, the care of a child is best done at a hospital specializing in the needs of children. Trauma is no different.”
– Shahab Abdessalam, MD, Trauma Medical Director, Children’s Hospital & Medical Center
Education & Outreach
As an ACS verified level II trauma center, our mission is to improve the regional medical care of pediatric patients. We are committed to providing pediatric education to referring hospitals, physicians offices, healthcare professionals, EMS providers, and community partners. Topics can be customized to fit your individual needs.
Examples of educational courses include:
- Pediatric Simulations
- Pediatric Trauma
- Pediatric Blunt Abdominal Trauma
- Pediatric Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Child Abuse
- Trauma Case Reviews
- Trauma Nurse Core Course
Annual Trauma Conference for Nurses, Physicians, & EMS Providers
SAVE THE DATE: June 5, 2020
More information to come.