Children’s Hospital & Medical Center’s Educational Support service team is here to ensure that learning continues when your child cannot go to school.
Keeping your child on a regular learning routine is key. We are here to allow hospitalized children in kindergarten through 12th grade to stay on track academically.
Services We Offer
Educational Support services at Children’s include:
- Coordinating communication between patients, parents, and schools
- Arranging for school assignments to be sent to patients
- Helping students with schoolwork
- Proctoring tests/exams and sending your child’s results to their school
- Coordinating the “Dream Big, READ!” summer reading program to encourage a love of reading even when school isn’t in session
- Scheduling video chats via Skype or FaceTime with teachers and classmates to keep your child connected
- Assisting with the setup of homebound instruction during your child’s transition home after an inpatient stay
“Educational support at Children’s is totally personalized. I schedule one-on-one time with each patient, so we can work on their individual goals. I act as a liaison between the school and family to figure out what the child’s needs are, and what is the most important for them to work on. I can arrange video calls to the teacher, give tests, proctor standardized tests — anything a child needs to stay up-to-date.”
—Peggy Smith, MS, BS, School Teacher/Education Liaison, Children’s Hospital & Medical Center
What To Do Next
To contact Educational Support, call 402-955-3836.