You have finished school, passed your exams, and earned your coveted Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree. And now it’s time for residency.
If you are interested in pursuing a residency in pediatric nursing, you’re in the right place.
Children’s Hospital & Medical Center is a Magnet-recognized hospital. Our Nurse Residency Program program assists new graduate nurses in their transition from student to professional RN by providing the knowledge, skills, and experience needed to begin a successful career in pediatric nursing.
Throughout the Nurse Residency Program, you will participate in several different types of learning experiences, including classroom lectures, structured computer-based learning, case studies, and clinical experiences that incorporate simulations and hands-on technical skill development.
We offer two different residency tracks for you to choose from:
The Hospital Track
The Hospital Track provides experience in hospital inpatient departments, including NICU, PICU, and medical/surgical areas.
The Ambulatory Track
The Ambulatory Track provides experience in our Specialty Pediatric Center, which houses our outpatient specialty clinics, and at Children’s Physicians primary care offices throughout the metro area.
Each program offers the nurse resident pediatric specific classroom education and time with a preceptor learning pediatric nursing skills. Ambulatory rotational clinical experiences are designed to provide exposure to the patient demographic, environment and health care professional team in each area. Once an area is selected, the resident continues with area-specific orientation, gaining confidence and competence. In year two, nurse residents complete an evidence-based practice project of their choice. The program will culminate in eligibility to test for national certification as a pediatric nurse.
The program is designed to support nurse residents with sequential learning experiences such as didactic classroom lectures, structured computer-based learning, case students and clinical experiences that incorporate simulations and hands-on technical skills development.
Which Track Is Right For You?
Matching Process & Specialty Areas
Hospital nurse residents will be hired into a full time position in areas based on the number of open positions available and based on the applicant’s interests. Ambulatory nurse residents will be hired into a full time position and matched to a specialty area based on the amount of positions available, input from area preceptors and educators, and your interests and talents. While your preference is not guaranteed, it will certainly be considered.
We accept applications for the Nurse Residency Program from qualified individuals who meet the following criteria:
- BSN completion prior to program start date.
- Current employees enrolled in ASN/ADN program are eligible. Must commit to completing BSN within 3 years.
- Minimum cumulative BSN College GPA of 3.0 for non-employees.
- Minimum BSN College GPA waived for current Children’s employees at the time of application.
- Successful NCLEX completion and possess an active nursing license in Nebraska or a compact state prior to program start date.
- BLS certification through an AHA-approved course required prior to program start date.
If you are applying for a hospital or ambulatory nursing position at Children’s, and have less than 6 months of experience, you will also be required to complete the Nurse Residency Program.
Application & Interview Process
Completing an application is a two stage process.
Applications are accepted through the careerlink site. Select the Nurse Resident posting to apply. Note that the Nurse Resident position is only available and accepting applications at set times of the year. See timeline of availability for the application below. If you do not see a posting for the Nurse Resident position that means we’re not currently accepting applications. Please check back in August, October – November, or February – March.
- Applications for spring hire are accepted in August
- Applications for summer hire are accepted in October- November
- Applications for fall hire are accepted in February – March
See full list of Important Dates & Deadlines
Candidates will be invited to submit an on-demand video interview and upload their resume. Program focus interest will be evaluated in a survey to identify a preference for Ambulatory or Hospital positions.
If the candidate indicates an interest in the Hospital track, the candidate will indicate their top five choices of areas to directly match to:
- CARES/PACU; ED; Float Pool; Medical/Surgical Units, NICU, OR, PICU, Short Stay Unit/Cardiac Care.
Candidates will be invited to submit a minimum of two or more individuals for reference; one of which must be from a clinical faculty member for application completion.
We screen all of our applications carefully. If you have been approved as a potential candidate, you will be invited to interview for the nurse resident position. We will discuss your personal interests and your preferred track at the interview.
Interviews typically last up to 45 minutes. They are conducted in a group setting, led by the Nurse Residency Program steering team. Candidates will be asked to bring their BSN transcripts to the interview.
The following are application due dates, interview dates, final hiring decision deadlines, and residency start dates for 2020-2021:
AUGUST GRADS – FALL 2020
- Online applications accepted: Feb 24, 2020 – Mar 19, 2020
- Stage 2 applications accepted: Feb 24, 2020 – March 30, 2020
- Interview with select candidates: April 20, 2019 – May 1, 2020
- Final decisions for hiring: May 8th, 2020
- Start Date: Sept 21st, 2020
DECEMBER GRADS – SPRING 2021
- Online applications accepted: Aug 17, 2020 – Sept 3, 2020
- Stage 2 applications accepted Aug 17, 2020 – Sept 14, 2020
- Interview with select candidates: Oct 12th – 22nd, 2020
- Final decisions for hiring: Oct 29th, 2020
- Start Date: Feb 15th, 2021
MAY GRADS – SUMMER 2021
- Online applications accepted: Oct 26th – November 19, 2020
- Stage 2 applications accepted Oct 26, 2020 – November 30, 2020
- Interview with select candidates: Jan 4th – 15th, 2021
- Final decisions for hiring: Jan 22nd, 2021
- Start Date: June 21st, 2021
AUGUST GRADS – FALL 2021
- Online applications accepted: Feb 22nd – March 18, 2021
- Stage 2 applications accepted Feb 22, 2021 – March 29, 2021
- Interview with select candidates: April 12th – April 23rd, 2021
- Final decisions for hiring: April 30th, 2021
- Start Date: Sept 27th, 2021