I decided to become a cardiac intensivist during my 4th year of medical school after taking care of a sick neonate with obstructed pulmonary veins. I love cardiac anatomy and physiology and I am thankful to work at a place where I can solely focus on this. After being in private practice I came to Omaha for the chance to build my academic career and build the cardiac intensive care unit.
I am passionate about improving outcomes and transparency and as Director of Cardiac Critical Care I have the opportunity to work with a dedicated team that shares my vision. We are active in both the Pediatric Cardiac Critical Care Consortium and the Pediatric Acute Care Cardiology Collaborative and I believe strongly in using data to inform our quality processes and clinical care.
My clinical research interests are varied and include resuscitation, post-operative cardiac care, education and fluid overload. I am fortunate to have the opportunity to mentor undergraduates, medical students, residents, fellows and nurses.
Pediatric Critical Care Medicine
2004 M.D., University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE
2007 Residency in Pediatrics, Children’s Mercy Hospital, Kansas City, MO
2010 Fellowship in Pediatric Critical Care Medicine, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, AR
2011 Fellowship in Cardiac Critical Care, Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital, Stanford, CA
Assistant Professor, Department of Pediatrics, University of Nebraska College of Medicine
Medical Director, Cardiovascular Intensive Care Unit (CICU)
1. Improving post-operative cardiac care using data-driven methods and systematic process improvement. We utilize data from Cardiac Networks United to continually assess our outcomes with the goal to provide the highest level of cardiac intensive care.
2. Cardiac arrest prevention and resuscitation in children with congenital heart disease. I am current engaged in as well as leading several multi-centered studies investigating cardiac arrest and extracorporeal cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
● American Academy of Pediatrics, Section on Critical Care (2004-2011)
● Society for Critical Care Medicine, Section on Pediatrics (2007-present)
● Pediatric Cardiac Intensive Care Society (2007-present)
● American Medical Association (2011–2016)
● Midwest Society for Pediatric Research (2014 -2017)
Honors & Awards
● Alpha Omega Alpha (2007)
● Golden Apple Mercy Mentor (2014)
● Golden Apple Mercy Mentor (2016)